Shami, who last played for India in an ODI, back in 2015 World Cup, has been included in the 15-member squad for the Champions Trophy and thus is looking for a fresh start in the 50-over format.
With KL Rahul out of contention, there is no debate on the two opening slots that will be occupied by Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan.
Gambhir's loyal fans also slammed the Indian board and a hashtag named #bringbackgambhir was soon trending on social micro-blogging site Twitter.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) missed a deadline to name a squad for the tournament after the International Cricket Council (ICC) changed its revenue-sharing model.
India won the tournament last in 2013 after they beat the host nation, England in the highly contested final.
Off-spinner Ashwin returned to the side after skipping the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) with a hernia and Prasad said it was more tactical than anything else. The defending champions will be led by Virat Kohli, under whom India have not lost a series yet.
Saudi Arabia says Trump visit will bolster cooperation, trade: foreign minister
McMaster, noted when announcing Trump's decision to visit Saudi Arabia first. No president has ever put Saudi Arabia first so visibly.
Even as statement described the decision as "unanimous", ex ICC and BCCI chief N Srinivasan, who was part of the meeting through video conferencing, is learnt to have caled for a more hawkish line against the intenational body, an Indian Express report said.
"We considered Rishabh Pant, Kuldeep Yadav, Suresh Raina, Dinesh Karthik and Shardul Thakur". Therefore, the onus of holding the innings together will fall on the shoulders of MS Dhoni and Yuvraj Singh in case the top order doesn't fire. "Please convene a meeting of the selection committee for selecting the squad immediately", the CoA had instructed Chaudhury in a letter.
India are scheduled to play two warm-ups matches against Bangladesh and New Zealand.
Asked if Virat Kohli or Ravindra Jadeja needed some rest from the IPL, Prasad replied."Virat didn't play the last Test and also the first few matches in IPL". The swashbuckling all-rounder is also in the squad for ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
India will play their Champions Trophy lung-opener against arch-rivals Pakistan on June 4.
- Trump administration keeps Iran deal alive, but with new sanctions
- Former FBI Director Comey to Testify Before US Congress Soon
- Return to path of denuclearization: United Nations to North Korea
- Mom warns parents after daughter chokes on fidget spinner
- Trump On Prosecutor For Russia Probe: 'It Hurts Our Country'
- Turkey demands USA fire envoy in spat over Syrian Kurds
- Bella Hadid suffers wardrobe malfunction at Cannes again
- Autodesk, Inc. (ADSK) Receives Neutral Rating from Guggenheim
- How Much Damages Made By Wannacry Ransomware Attack Made Throughout The World
- Pablo Hernandez to stay for another year