Anthony Weiner will appear in federal court Friday to face criminal charges in connection with an investigation of his online communications with a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina.
Former New York congressman Anthony Weiner will plead guilty to sending obscene material to a minor, U.S. media report.
The official wasn't authorized to speak about the plea bargain because the criminal charges had yet to be filed publicly with the court, and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
Download our Expert Edition e-book, Cyber: Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation. His attorneys are expected to ask for probation when he appears in a U.S. District Court, the sources added.
But the sexting didn't stop, and a series of explicit exchanges continued in early 2016 with a 15-year-old girl from North Carolina, two highly knowledgeable sources told NBC News in September.
Trump and other Republicans accused her of endangering national security by exposing classified information to potential hacking.
During an investigation into the sexting allegation, FBI officials found emails on Mr Weiner's laptop from his ex-wife, Huma Abedin, who was a top aide to Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
Un procureur spécial nommé dans l'enquête Trump-Russie (ministère de la Justice)
Comey aurait consigné cette tentative d'étouffer une enquête dans des notes dont plusieurs médias américains ont fait état. Selon sa lettre de mission, il n'est pas tenu de tenir informée la direction du DoJ des avancées de son enquête.
In October, days before the election, then FBI director James Comey stunned the country by announcing that his agency was reopening its closed investigation into Mrs Clinton's handling of State Department business on a private email server so it could analyse the newly discovered correspondence.
That inquiry was brief.
Check out Federal News Radio's latest podcasts.
Weiner's lawyer, Arlo Devlin Brown, didn't immediately return a message Friday.
Weiner, who represented NY in Congress from 1999 to 2011, resigned after revelations that he was sending sexually explicit messages to multiple women.
His failed mayoral bid is the subject of the documentary "Weiner".
- Deere profit beats on strong farm equipment demand, shares jump
- L'ancien PM Manuel Valls veut être candidat de la "majorité présidentielle" — France
- Karp Capital Management Corp Takes Position in Foot Locker, Inc. (FL)
- Dès 19h, suivez en direct la Google I/O
- Mputu et Kalaba portent le TP Mazembe — CdC
- Bientôt 115 ch pour la Up (avec vidéo) — Volkswagen Up GTI
- National Police Week honors law enforcement across the country
- Ameritech Financial Responds to Increase in Federal Student Loan Interest Rates
- New footage shows Erdogan watching Washington brawl
- Cannes 2017 : Les décolletés sexy déjà stars du tapis rouge