Former The West Wing star Allison Janney and Chuck Lorre, the creator of her new TV show Mom, are throwing their support behind women's health organisation Planned Parenthood by spearheading a new fundraising campaign.
Lorre said when he was discussing Mom's Emmy campaign with the show's studio, Warner Bros.
Variety reported Thursday that the Chuck Lorre-produced program is redirecting the quarter-million dollars it otherwise would have spent on promoting itself in the run-up to the Emmy Awards nomination deadline to the organization, which also provides free or low-priced contraceptives and contraceptive counseling. "It makes sense, because our show is all about women", Janney told the CBS This Morning hosts.
The comedy hopes its donation will encourage fans and non-fans alike to contribute to the national non-profit given the situation in Washington D.C. The American Health Care Act, which will repeal Obamacare and is now being considered by the U.S. Senate, would block Planned Parenthood from being reimbursed for providing services like birth control and cancer screenings to Medicaid recipients and other low-income patients. Earlier this month, the House of Representatives passed a bill that would defund Planned Parenthood, blocking access to birth control and preventative care for almost 400,000 low-income women. "It's such a critical time".
Les ministres doivent soutenir les candidats de la majorité présidentielle — Législatives
Le nouveau président s'est engagé à faire voter, au cours de son quinquennat, une grande loi de moralisation de la vie publique. Plusieurs récompenses politiques sont manifestes dans les nominations de ce premier gouvernement de la présidence Macron.
"In Los Angeles County alone, we answer approximately 2,000 calls each day from people asking us for help", Sue Dunlap, president-CEO of Planned Parenthood Los Angeles, says.
Co-created by Lorre, Mom has tackled serious subjects including substance abuse, addiction, suicide and more. Mom earned two back-to-back supporting-actress wins for one of its central stars, Allison Janney-in 2014 and 2015.
Janney has supported the abortion chain for years, according to EW. Lorre also has a long record of supporting health care organizations, including establishing a family health center in his father's honor at the Venice Family Clinic. Faris, for her part, supports the Global Alliance to Prevent Premature and Stillbirths.
- New skins, emotes, and voice lines teased for Overwatch Anniversary event
- Watch Derek Jeter's Jersey Retirement Ceremony
- Zac Efron and Alexandra Daddario are getting together
- World's thinnest hologram will make screen size 'irrelevant'
- I am in Champions Trophy squad because of IPL, says Shikhar Dhawan
- Trois questions sur ce que prévoit Emmanuel Macron — Rythmes scolaires
- India have played it safe with Champions Trophy selection
- LeBron, Love lead Cavs past Celtics
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) closed the last trading session at $12.75
- Des femmes désertent les rues d'un quartier de Paris — Harcèlement de rue