The comments came during a lunch with television network anchors at the White House Thursday as he was asked about the selection of former FBI Director Robert Mueller to lead the inquiry.
The South Carolina Republican said he wasn't able to ask specifically if it was now a criminal probe "but the takeaway have is everything he said was that you need to treat this investigation as if it may a criminal investigation".
"This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history!" tweeted Trump, who went on to note in an additional post that a special counsel was not appointed to investigate "the illegal acts that took place in the Clinton campaign & Obama Administration".
That memo, which criticized Comey's handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server, was later used by Trump as grounds to fire Comey.
President Donald Trump on Thursday said the appointment of a special counsel to oversee the investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 election reflects poorly on national unity. "I hope it will stop the partisan political circus on Capitol Hill and get down to the bottom of a growing list of allegations", Coffman said.
Theresa May defends winter fuel allowance protection for Scottish pensioners
She was responding to Conservative Party's plans to introduce a means-test in Winter Fuel Payments. I want to use that money in terms of the winter fuel payment.
A House Republican aide said Wednesday that House Speaker Paul Ryan of Wisconsin invited Rosenstein to brief all House members on the investigation Friday morning.
The dismissal sent shockwaves through Washington, with critics accusing Trump of trying to thwart the FBI investigation into Russia's alleged interference in the United States presidential election and his possible collusion with the Kremlin. And House and Senate investigators had invited Comey back to Congress to explain what happened - although Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz declared on Twitter that he had trouble finding Comey to invite him to testify to the oversight committee he chairs.
When White House officials are pressed for answers, their "we can't talk about this" response has already been undermined by their boss, who apparently can't help himself.
"I think it shows division and it shows that we're not together as a country", continued Trump.
U.S. president Donald Trump has condemned an investigation into possible collusion between his 2016 election campaign and Russian Federation as the "greatest witch hunt" in the USA history.
- Les fantômes d'Ismaël, d'Arnaud Desplechin, une réalisation éblouissante — Festival de Cannes
- Pippa Middleton's wedding is shaping up as Britain's wedding of the year
- Trump says he gave Russians the super secret information aides denied yesterday
- Bringing high speed rail to the Toronto-Windsor corridor
- Melania Trump announces first overseas trip as first lady
- Oil rises 2% after Saudi and Russian Federation back longer supply cut
- Le jeune centriste Emmanuel Macron devient le 26e président — France
- Free NBA Pick for the Boston Celtics vs
- Orlando Magic will have sixth pick in NBA draft
- China's Xi says willing to put South Korea ties back on track