Rock singer Chris Cornell, who gained fame as the frontman of Soundgarden and Audioslave, has died at the age of 52, according to his representative.
His representative, Brian Bumbery released a simple statement to the Associated Press confirming that Cornell died suddenly and unexpectedly on Wednesday night in Detroit.
His family has asked for privacy and said they would be working with a medical examiner to determine the cause of Cornell's death.
Police spokesman Michael Woody told The Associated Press on Thursday morning that he can't provide details on what led investigators to make that determination, but noted there were "basic things observed at the scene".
Detroit's WDIV reports that sources say suicide is suspected and that Cornell was reportedly found in the bathroom with "something around his neck".
Mourinho accepts Europa final's make-or-break billing
Speaking to Sky Sports after the 1-2 loss to Tottenham on Sunday, the United manager said: "What we did was compulsory". But obviously, like we did against Arsenal [last Sunday], we didn't throw the match away.
News of Cornell's death prompted scores of tweets expressing sadness.
Soundgarden were one of the leaders of the 90's grunge genre that produced Pearl Jam and Nirvana. It included hit singles "Spoonman", "Fell on Black Days", "Black Hole Sun", "My Wave" and "The Day I Tried to Live".
Cornell formed supergroup Audioslave in 2001 with lead guitarist Tom Morello, bassist Tim Commerford and drummer Brad Wilk. The band released three albums, before splitting up in 2007.
Cornell has also rolled out five solo albums in 16 years.
- Man United held by Southampton in 0-0 stalemate
- Chaffetz questions whether Comey memos are 'actually there'
- DS Smith plc's (SMDS) Hold Rating Reaffirmed at Berenberg Bank
- Who is controversial Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke?
- Trevor Noah Tears Into Fox News Over James Comey's Bombshell Memo
- Vermont becomes latest state to protect journalists' sources
- WHO eyes vaccine trial for Ebola-hit DR Congo
- Crews remove Jefferson Davis monument
- Mallika Sherawat sports Georges Hobeika gown at Cannes
- What we know about the Russia-Trump investigation