After speaking to the man, police later found the stolen bus, at Bonacord Avenue and Cochrane Street in Whitby.
They arrested a 32-year-old man and later charged him with theft and possession of stolen property.
TTC spokesperson Mike DeToma told CP24 it appears the bus was stolen from the transit agency's Birchmount Garage early this morning.
Maw said the bus was likely left where it was because the suspect lives nearby.
'Man City not yet a finished product'
Nobody can beat us. "(Former manager) Manuel Pellegrini missed him a lot last season and you can see that. The most hard thing in football, basketball, tennis, in all the sports is to do it in the last moment.
Durham Regional Police arrested a suspect after receiving an anonymous tip, said Staff Sgt. Tim Maw.
There's no word yet on how the man managed to get inside the bus and drive away.
DeToma said the bus would have been taken after 1:40 a.m. when it was dropped off at the end of its run.
- Trump talk with Russians 'wholly appropriate,' McMaster says
- McCain calls reports of Trump sharing info with Russian Federation 'deeply disturbing'
- Intel Trump Shared With Russia Came From Israel
- More Americans want 'independent' investigation of Trump: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- What does Rafael Nadal's latest title mean?
- Report(s): RAIMI, VAUGHN, ZEMECKIS Top THE FLASH Director Shortlist
- Auto split down middle after crash - and driver SURVIVED
- Central Intelligence Agency in Kim Jong Un Assassination Attempt, Claim DPRK
- Google releases Android Things Developer Preview 4 for IoT devices
- Trump asked Comey to close Flynn probe -NY Times, citing Comey memo