Since 1988, law enforcement in the state have been raising awareness and money for the Special Olympics and its athletes across the state.
On Wednesday, the Flame of Hope will travel to Hamburg in memory of Trooper David C. Brinkerhoff and in honor of Joe Dubreville, a former Homeland Security investigation's agent.
That torch was literal Monday as members of the Lawton Police Department ran from the police headquarters all the way to Southeast 45th Street and Lee Boulevard, carrying a torch signifying involvement of law enforcement in the Special Olympics of Oklahoma. This torch run will run by four different schools as students come out to cheer on the runners.
The run begins at 6 p.m., at 19 and Court. They will be led by 92.9 The Game, who serves as the 2017 LETR Final Leg Lead Car. The Flame of Hope will enter the Spring Games to declare them open.
Trump Downplays Comey Controversy, Says Search for New FBI Director 'Moving Rapidly'
He spoke during a meeting with Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan at the White House. At least a dozen different names are being mentioned in U.S. media as candidates to replace Comey.
Members of law enforcement said the Torch Run is more than an event. "Special Olympics is a cause I really enjoy assisting". Runners then take the torch north on River Road and stop at the entrance of the Lake Oliver Marina.
43 athletes from our area will compete this weekend and Local officials have been busy helping raise funds for those athletes and they explain it is all worthwhile.
The torch will be carried into the opening ceremonies of the South Dakota Special Olympics Summer Games in Spearfish, Thursday, May 18.
- Politique. L'annonce de la composition du gouvernement reportée à mercredi 15 h
- 'The Flash' Places Iris's Fate in Captain Cold's Jazz Hands
- Edouard Philippe, parcours d'un Premier ministre (Portrait) — France
- Associate says Comey noted odd Trump encounters
- Defending Yourself - and Your Computer - From WannaCry Ransomware
- More Americans want 'independent' investigation of Trump
- 'Fast decision' expected on Comey's FBI replacement
- France: l'annonce du gouvernement reportée à mercredi
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Mattis 'not worried' about Trump sharing intel