Ruling Trinamool Congress has retained Pujali and Domkol municipalities, wrested Raigunj and Mirik from Congress and Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, and GJM retained Darjeeling, Kurseong and Kalimpong boards after results for Sunday's polls for seven municipalities were declared today. TMC won 18 out of 21 wards in Domkal Municipality under Murshidabad district. The Congress won two, and the CPI (M) one.
In Raiganj, out of 27 seats TMC won 24, BJP won one and Congress-Left alliance 2 seats.
Banerjee's party won 12 of the 16 wards in the Pujali municipality, while the Congress and an Independent won one seat each. On the other side, the TMC's storming the GJM's bastion in a region where the BJP had won in the 2014 Lok Sabha election also makes it a worrying sign for the saffron party.
While the elections to the four municipal bodies in the Darjeeling hills was generally peaceful, the three towns in the plains saw sporadic violence, with Pujali in South 24-Parganas district bearing the brunt, police and district administration sources said. Of the nine seats in Mirik, the TMC won six and the GJM three.
BJP ally Gorkha Janmukti Morcha remained the numero uno party in the Hills after securing 3 civic bodies. GJM won 31 out of the 32 seats in Darjeeling and 17 out of 20 wards in Kurseong. The BJP, which has been trying to position itself as the main opposition to Trinamool, won 3 wards - 2 in Pujali and 1 in Raiganj.
Seven municipal corporations in West Bengal witnessed polling this week, and all votes will be counted on Wednesday.
Trump allegedly asked Comey to shut down Flynn investigation
House Speaker Paul Ryan has endured a rocky relationship with Trump but has stood by the President during his trials so far in the administration.
Please enter your email.
"Congratulations to my brothers/sisters in hill areas of Darjeeling Kurseong Kalimpong Mirik for participating in the democratic process", CM Banerjee posted on Twitter.
"Congratulations to Ma Mati Manush for again & again putting their trust in us".
"Special thanks to Mirik for reposing faith in us". We will work sincerely for you. "We are honored, privileged & humbled #VerdictOfBengal", she tweeted. "After so many decades we begin a new era in the hills".
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee expressed her satisfaction through her tweets.
- Kentucky Derby winner Always Dreaming gets rambunctious
- Jefferson Davis Statue Loses Battle of New Orleans
- Microsoft faulted over ransomware while shifting blame to NSA
- L'accélérateur de particules du Moyen-Orient a été inauguré — Sesame
- Accueil Buzz The Orville, la parodie de Star Trek selon Seth MacFarl
- Government and Microsoft criticised as threat continues — NHS cyberattack
- White House turns focus to 'dangerous' leaks after Russian Federation meeting controversy
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- US admiral: North Korea's actions 'recipe for disaster'
- Backed Forces Seize Key Syrian Town, Dam On Road To Raqqa