Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's lawyers have requested that an appeals court get rid of the judge overseeing his criminal case and cancel a hearing set for Thursday in Houston.
The Dallas-based 5th Court of Appeals is now putting the case on hold while it considers Paxton's demand for a new judge. The request comes three days before a hearing in Houston on the issue - a hearing that would be called off if the request is granted. "No written consent has been given ... and no such consent from (Paxton) or his counsel will be forthcoming". But they have also said he should not have even been presiding over the case in 2017 because his assignment expired a year ago. He has said through a spokeswoman that he plans to continue presiding over it.
"If the defendant or defense attorney do not provide written consent, the judge ordering the change of venue may not preside over the case, " Paxton's attorneys say in the filing. The charges carry a maximum penalty of 99 years in prison and tens of thousands in fines.
Bills call Tyrod Taylor the quarterback of the future -- but with caveats
The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league now more than ever before, and that's not going to change anytime soon. Before emerging as starter in Buffalo, Taylor played for four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens as Joe Flacco's backup.
Paxton is accused of two counts of securities fraud for soliciting investors in a McKinney tech company without revealing that he was being paid for the work.
- Stock Dropping in Early Trade: Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:MACK)
- Manchester United reveals £3.8m net loss for third quarter
- 'The Little Mermaid' Live Musical Is Coming to ABC
- Kawhi will return for Game 1 of Western Conference Finals
- Cannes - Desplechin: de la difficulté d'être français à Cannes
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- AMD's Ryzen 9 'Threadripper' CPU lineup leaked
- Priyanka Chopra spotted in a Sexy bikini again
- Phillies rally to late 4-3 win over Nationals
- Shah Rukh Khan finally bitten by Baahubali bug