Pope Francis talks with Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi during a private audience at the Vatican May 4, 2017.
The Holy See's request for diplomatic relations dates back to 1990 and, until now, its interests have been represented by an "apostolic delegate" - a rank below a Nuncio or ambassador - with the role filled by the ambassador to neighbouring Thailand.
Myanmar's Senior-General Min Aung Hlaing has also rejected the United Nations findings and described more than a million Rohingya in Rakhine as "Bengali" interlopers, despite that they have been living in Buddhist-majority Myanmar for generations.
Most recently, in his February 8 general audience the Pope asked pilgrims to pray with him "for our brother and sister Rohingya". She added: "We have disassociated ourselves from the resolution because we do not think that the resolution is in keeping with what is actually happening on the ground".
Elsewhere, Pope Francis has moved a Vietnamese cardinal imprisoned for more than 13 years by the communists a step closer to sainthood.
Former 'RHONJ' star Dina Manzo brutally attacked in Holmdel home invasion
The unidentified individuals attacked Cantin with a baseball bat, breaking his nose, and punched Manzo multiple times in the face. As they walked through the front door, they encountered two suspects who were already in the house, the station reports .
Myanmar's President Htin Kyaw spent six days in China last month, signing an agreement that will see oil pumped through a pipeline across Myanmar to southwestern China, and Suu Kyi is due to visit Beijing for a summit on President Xi Jinping's signature "One Belt, One Road" infrastructure programme in mid-May.
"If we think that the recommendations are in keeping with the real needs of the region, we would be happy to accept them", she told reporters following a meeting with European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini in Brussels.
TRT World's Kevin Ozebek has more from Brussels.
It is the largest country in mainland Southeast Asia, bigger than Vietnam and the Philippines put together, but somewhat smaller than Texas. When Japan capitulated, the British colonial rulers returned but not for long. All Church schools were nationalized in 1965 following the 1962 military coup in the former British colony.
In July 1989, around a year after her return to her homeland to care for her mother, Ms Suu Kyi was placed under house arrest by the military which feared the influence of a woman whose father was instrumental in gaining Burma's freedom from British rule.
- Second Ebola case in Congo confirmed
- With 'tapes' tweet, Trump evokes Nixon's White House
- En Marche! tente de minimiser les tensions avec Bayrou — Législatives
- Pénalité pour Stoffel Vandoorne, renvoyé en fond de grille — GP d'Espagne
- Liberty Global plc - Class A (LILA) Getting Positive Media Coverage, Report Finds
- EVM tampering row: Election Commission to hold challenge, says CEC Nasim Zaidi
- Paris - Philippot lance "Les Patriotes", une association "dans le FN"
- Le gouvernement annonce "un accord" avec les mutins — Côte d'Ivoire
- Oprah Winfrey Just Dropped Major Knowledge in a Commencement Speech
- Judge Wants More Evidence in Uber Self-Driving Car Dispute