"If we win, we deserve to be in the Champions League, if not, then we don't". For now, Sturridge was focused on sending Liverpool closer to the top-four but their lead should have evaporated moments before half-time.
They were up against a West Ham side who had effectively scuppered Tottenham Hotspur's Premier League title ambitions earlier this month.
Four minutes later Coutinho made the points safe after a counter-attack with West Ham furious that a handball had gone unpunished in the build-up.
West Ham was presented with the ideal opportunity to level matters just prior to the interval, but Ayew somehow managed to twice hit the post from point-blank range.
Problem is, they're playing already relegated, guaranteed-to-finish-19th Middlesbrough at Anfield, so for some insane reason I don't see that going Arsenal's way. The goal Liverpool craved arrived when the silky Coutinho's defence-splitting pass sent Sturridge clear and he left keeper Adrian grounded with a neat stepover before calmly sliding the ball into the net. The start of the second half was brilliant.
Jurgen Klopp's side take on Middlesborough this weekend in their last game of the season.
Wall's Game Winner Forces a Game Seven
With the exception of Horford and Gortat, all of the key players - including Wall and Thomas - have yet to reach their peak. With possession of the ball and a five-point cushion, the Wizards blitzed a pick at midcourt designed for Thomas.
Of course if Arsenal were to lose any of their last two games it would not matter what result Liverpool got against Boro as they would secure fourth-place.
"It's important for everyone at the club to finish in the top four", Sturridge said. It's a great victory for us. "The boys did it and today we saw a really convincing performance and no doubt about anything".
"We have one more game and we will stay focused, 100 per cent", said Reds boss Klopp.
"It's good that a great club, like Barcelona, have interest in you because it's recognition of the hard work you're doing. We kept the ball well, we did everything the manager asked of us".
Speaking of his sides endeavor and the requirement to change systems within the game, Klopp was content with the control and dominance his team showed, particularly in the second half when they capitalized on Daniel Sturridge's opening goal, ten minutes before the break.
- Putin calls for an end to 'intimidation' of North Korea
- Former 'RHONJ' star Dina Manzo brutally attacked in Holmdel home invasion
- Trump To Push Palestinians To End Payments To Terrorist Families
- Microsoft Blames NSA For WCry Ransomware
- Paris - Philippot lance "Les Patriotes", une association "dans le FN"
- Manchester United v Celta Vigo
- Judge Wants More Evidence in Uber Self-Driving Car Dispute
- Bayrou met fin à sa querelle avec En Marche — Législatives
- Bixby Lands On Samsung's Family Hub 2.0 Refrigerator
- Arsenal's top four hopes rest on Middlesbrough as Liverpool hammer West Ham