Indian Army on Monday termed the media reports "speculative" saying that the army Major accused of using a civilian as human shield in Kashmir has been given a clean chit.
In her report, the India Today journalist had said, "The court of inquiry (CoI) convened by the Army in Jammu Kashmir has given a clean chit to a Major who tied a civilian to an Army jeep's bonnet".
A video of the incident was uploaded by former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on his Twitter profile, generating massive outrage and condemnation from all quarters including some senior army officers. The police registered the FIR against the army's 53 Rashtriya Rifles unit in the Beerwah police station in Budgam district.
The official in the original report had said "not even disciplinary actions were recommended against the officer" and that he was congratulated on his "acumen".
However, PTI then reported that army sources had said that it was still to conclude the inquiry.
Major Nitin Gogoi is a pass-out from the Army Cadet College and belongs to the Indian Army's 53 Rashtriya Rifles.
Pénalité pour Stoffel Vandoorne, renvoyé en fond de grille — GP d'Espagne
Eric Boullier déclare que McLaren doit " réaliser l'impossible " au cours des cinq prochains mois pour persuader Fernando Alonso de ne pas aller voir ailleurs.
A video of a man tied on an army vehicle's bonnet, shot on April 9 during Srinagar by-polls, which saw a dismal 7.13 percent turnout among widespread violence and later posted on social media, had led to an uproar.
Officers believe it was a "one-off incident that was blown out of proportion".
On April 15, Army constituted a court of inquiry in the incident.
Surprisingly, however, the military court acquitted Major Ntin Gogol and instead praising him for the "presence of mind to avoid casualties or injuries" and "avoid" stone pelting on forces.
Though Army sources said Dar was a stone-pelter, the latter said he was returning home after casting his vote when jawans picked him up. "This young man was TIED to the front of an army jeep to make sure no stones were thrown at the jeep?"
- EVM tampering row: Election Commission to hold challenge, says CEC Nasim Zaidi
- Gve in the spirit of Anna Jarvis, the mother of Mother's Day
- Oprah Winfrey Just Dropped Major Knowledge in a Commencement Speech
- Trump To Push Palestinians To End Payments To Terrorist Families
- Microsoft Blames NSA For WCry Ransomware
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Passation de pouvoirs: Emmanuel Macron, Jour 1 de sa présidence
- Bayrou met fin à sa querelle avec En Marche — Législatives
- With 'tapes' tweet, Trump evokes Nixon's White House
- En Marche! tente de minimiser les tensions avec Bayrou — Législatives