The FBI's acting director, Andrew McCabe, was set to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday, in Comey's.
The president sat down today with NBC News' Lester Holt, who asked about how Trump's decision came to fruition.
"What I did was I was going to fire Comey - my decision". McCabe said that Comey's firing will not hinder it.
But once he emerged, Spicer refused to be interviewed on camera, telling reporters to turn off the lights, and answering many questions with, "I don't know".
The statement echoed the statement Trump released when he fired Comey on Tuesday.
Ex-national security adviser Michael Flynn resigned for possibly misrepresenting conversations he had with Kislyak months before Trump took office. Trump said Comey told him on three occasions he was not the target of a probe.
Since tweeting out his statement on Comey's firing Tuesday night, he has only tweeted twice - once announcing that Turkey's president Recep Tayyip Erdogan will visit the White House, and once linking to an op-ed on the benefits of trade for America's farmers. At that dinner, Trump said he responded that he would see how things go, and asked Comey if he was under investigation.
FRANCE : François Hollande fait ses ADIEUX!!
Il prononcera ensuite une allocution en présence des corps constitués et d'invités triés sur le volet. Dès lundi, le nouveau président de la République effectuera son premier déplacement à l'étranger.
But Trump gave an entirely different explanation to Holt.
President Donald Trump on Thursday denied that his campaign had any contact with the Russians.
But Trump contradicted that narrative on Thursday when he told NBC News that "regardless of the recommendation, I was going to fire Comey". His account has not been confirmed and the FBI Director would not normally discuss an open investigation like that.
Though some of the images suggested Trump was clearly aware he was being photographed, the White House reportedly tried to blame the Russians for the photos, saying it did not anticipate the photos would be posted online.
After pictures of a smiling Trump, Kislyak, and Lavrov hit the internet, a White House official said, "they tricked us".
McCabe undermined another of the Trump's constant claims - that the Russian Federation investigation is just a sideshow. The deputy attorney general now finds himself in the crosshairs only two weeks after being confirmed by the Senate.
"The financial and political links between Mr. McCabe and Gov. McAuliffe raise concerns about the appearance of impartiality in the course of not only the Clinton investigation, but the reported McAuliffe investigation, and the ongoing investigation of alleged ties between associates of Mr. Trump and Russia", Grassley continued.
- La fièvre de l'Eurovision saisit l'Ukraine sans la Russie ostracisée
- Trump warns sacked Federal Bureau of Investigation chief Comey not to 'leak' conversations
- Alma part à la conquête de l'Eurovision, 40 ans après Marie Myriam
- No, presidents should not ask FBI directors if they're under investigation
- Fox News co-president resigns amid sexual harrassment scandal
- Présidentielle en Corée du Sud: le favori Moon l'emporte largement
- Zabaleta to leave Manchester City after 9 years
- J'allais limoger le chef du FBI quelles que soient les recommandations
- [#Présidentielle2017] Le vote Macron et Le Pen à Marseille en carte interactive
- Preview screening of epic King Arthur film coup for Bangor's Pontio