The fight was eventually called off.
Referee Herb Dean ruled the knee was accidental, therefore the fight ended in a no-contest.
In the end it was a confusing finish, though, with a no-contest resulting from an illegal blow that brought things to a stop in the second round.
Alvarez takes the center of the Octagon to start the fight. I apologize to Dustin.
Poirier saw his opponent wounded and opened up with a barrage of strikes that almost brought an end to the fight as the Dallas crowd roared with each punch landed.
Poirier and Alvarez were engaging in fierce striking exchanges when midway through the second round Poirier rocked the former lightweight champion with a left hand.
The two-minute stretch was total insanity and featured more swings in momentum than this story has room to describe, but it all came crashing to an end with the illegal knee.
Alvarez, also a former Bellator, Bodog and MFC champion, was looking to rebound from his second round TKO to Conor McGregor at UFC 205 in November.
Israel occupation forces fire at Palestinian protesters
Israel has refuted the claims of sub-par conditions in its prisons and has pointed to the fact that its prison standards meet global law.
Poirier, too, reminded the world of why hardcore MMA fans consider his fights to be can't-miss. However, as Poirier was working back to his feet, Alvarez landed three illegal knees.
"[The knee strike] flashed me pretty good", Poirier said.
Anyone who was watching him on Saturday night against Chas Skelly certainly isn't going to forget his name. Not bad for a guy with only 18 months in the UFC. In today's MMA landscape, that's notable. "And that boy kept fighting, that man right there has more heart than any man I've ever fought".
Poirier, an American Top Team product, was coming off a grueling decision over UFC veteran Jim Miller at UFC 208 in February.
It was wholly unnecessary, given how thoroughly Casey had beaten her opponent, but there seemed to be no talking her out of the apologies when she spoke with the media afterwards.
"I'm fighting, that's what I'm doing", Alvarez said of the knee strikes. "I didn't really put out the performance that I thought I could and knew I could". "He asked me I could see and I said it was a little blurry".
The win over the 115-pound division's No. 12 fighter should push Casey up the rankings quickly, especially given the calibre of opposition she's fought over the past year.
- Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola hails referee Bobby Madley over disallowed penalty
- Rand Paul Pans Sessions' 'Tough On Crime' Prosecution Policy
- PM could win Commons majority of 48 based on local election analysis
- Israel's cabinet submits bill to declare 'Jewish nation state'
- Oilers rout Ducks, set up Game 7
- Arsenal's Granit Xhaka doubtful for Southhampton clash due to injury
- Teri Vance: Celebrate Mother's Day any way you want
- Buck Showalter hopes Orioles can return to normalcy after win
- En Marche! rebaptisé La République en marche! en vue des législatives
- More than 80 girls are freed in a Boko Haram prisoner swap