"I've seen firsthand the impacts of climate change to not only the Gulf of Maine, but also to our evolving fisheries, and to the coastal communities that depend upon them", said lobsterman Richard Nelson of Friendship, Maine.
A group that has been closely monitoring government environmental and science websites for changes in the Trump years, the Environmental Data and Governance Initiative, had a cautious reaction to the changes. 2018, " read one sign carried by Kathy Sommer of Stony Brook, N.Y, as the protest assembled on the National Mall.
The protest continues the trend of heightened liberal activism since Trump's election, best seen in the Women's March in January and the protests at airports to combat the administration's travel ban. "We're hopeful that students from all over campus feel like they can show up for climate change".
Last month Mr Trump ordered the Environmental Protection agency to review his predecessor Barack Obama's Clean Power Plan (CPP) environmental initiative, which he said had cost jobs in coalmining towns.
Numerous signs at Saturday's climate march were dark and ominous, warning of climate catastrophe, dying oceans, crop destruction and planet degradation.
PM Modi departs for Delhi from Colombo
Modi promised to build them 10,000 more homes in addition to the 4,000 houses already being constructed with Indian aid. Modi said he believes that India and Sri Lanka were at a moment of great opportunity in their relationship.
"We come today to say the effects of climate change are real and causes of climate change are clear", one of the speakers, Judith Howell, member and political Organizer of SEIU 32BJ, a labor union, told the crowd.
There had been reports early in the Trump administration that the EPA climate change website was set to be taken down, but in the end it did not happen immediately. Others pointed out the environmental costs of his frequent Florida weekends, adding that his palatial Mar-a-Lago retreat is threatened by rising sea levels.
Nando Rodriguez brought his niece, Eva Luna, from NY to Washington for the march as a learning experience, he said. "I think it's a class issue, and it's a race issue". "Nothing is in separation except the planet or destroying it".
The climate demonstration is the latest in a series of protests against the new administration. The White House also proposes to cut back the Department of Energy's efforts to accelerate the transition to new (and cleaner) energy technologies and is threatening to pull out of the Paris Agreement dealing with greenhouse gas emissions.
- Lonzo Ball's Shoes Sales Aren't Putting Up Big Baller Numbers So Far
- Renault touché par la vague de cyberattaques internationales
- Majority French voters favour Macron's legislative candidates
- Yum! Brands, Inc. (YUM) Receives $77.08 Average Price Target from Analysts
- Madhuri Dixit on ex-boyfriend Sanjay Dutt: This topic has become redundant
- Nebraska welcomes trade deal to feed China's taste for beef
- Cyber attack disrupting British NHS was worldwide : May
- Has $460000 Stake in H & R Block Inc (HRB)
- Credit Suisse Downgrades Sun Life Financial (SLF), Celsion Has 1.22 Sentiment
- Trump says he did not ask Comey for his loyalty -Fox News