An Australian soldier has died during a training exercise in the Northern Territory less than a week after a 21-year-old was killed during army training in Queensland.
The ADF said the incident happened at about 12:45pm at Mount Bundey military live-fire training facility.
He was flown to hospital but couldn't be saved.
'It is a deep shock to the organisation and will be felt by the broader Army family, ' it said.
He was hit by a tree branch near Rockhampton.
'The Army has instigated a suspension of training activities across its combat brigades to review risk assessment processes and training safety management. "He received immediate first aid at the scene and was transported to the Royal Darwin Hospital for treatment", the Defence statement said.
"Defence will not be releasing any information relating to the soldier's personal or service history at this time".
Pte Challis' death is being investigated by Northern Territory Police with assistance from the Australian Defence Force.
Les magnifiques images de la Belgique vue de l'espace (PHOTOS)
Le Français note au passage la présence sur ce cliché de la Belgique qui " se distingue toujours nettement ". Et c'est grâce à cet éclairage qu'on le reconnaît sur la photo d'après qui est très particulière.
"Our handsome boy has gone".
It is the second death of an Australian soldier during a military training exercise within the space of a week.
Australian soldiers during a live-fire training exercise at Mount Bundey.
"Mate you will be missed". His cheekiness and loving ways will stay with us forever.
Labor has also extended its sympathies to the solider's family and friends with the shadow defence minister, Richard Marles, and the shadow defence personnel minister, Amanda Rishworth, saying in a statement: "There can be no sadder or more hard day".
Northern Territory Police are preparing a report for the coroner.
The soldier's next of kin have been notified and an Army spokesman said they were being offered every support.
Army chief, Lieutenant General Angus Campbell, sent a letter to all commanders on Thursday expressing his "deep concern" about the deaths.
- Bank of America Corp Lowers Cyberark Software Ltd (CYBR) to Underperform
- Le no 1 mondial battu par un lucky loser — Tennis
- Anderson Silva officially out of UFC 212
- Vigils held for Christian politician imprisoned in Indonesia
- Suspect in abduction of Ashtabula teen nabbed in Pennsylvania
- Windows 10 update to help users identify best photos, videos
- Energy Transfer Equity LP (ETE) — Equity in Focus
- Rapper Travis Scott designs special shirts for Rockets fans
- " "François Hollande, le " coach " de Emmanuel Macron
- Under Slight Risk for severe weather this afternoon