American Idol originally ran for 15 seasons on FOX in the US, earning 67 Emmy nominations and nine wins.
The network and "Idol's" producers, FremantleMedia North America and CORE Media Group, have finalized an agreement to revive the show, which ended a 15-season run on FOX past year.
After weeks of rumors, ABC finally made it official Tuesday morning: The network is reviving American Idol next season. "We are thrilled viewers will once again share in these inspiring stories of people realizing their dreams", ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey stated.
Ryan Seacrest seemed interested in returning as a host but admitted that he might be too busy to do it.
On Monday, ABC announced that it has secured the rights to bring back "American Idol".
Police investigate killing of Ohio police chief, 2 others
John Kasich tweeted that he was "shocked & pained by the horrific shooting in Kirkersville , ask for prayers for those injured". Licking County Sheriff Randy Thorp says the gunman took two passers-by hostage behind the nursing home in a wooded area Friday.
ABC outbid Idol's former network, Fox, for the revival, Variety reported.
Ryan Seacrest has not yet confirmed or denied if he'll be hosting the American Idol reboot, but he's definitely aware that the show is officially returning to TV.
Idol was cancelled last spring by Fox after 15 seasons.
The show that dominated television in the 2000s and minted stars like Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Clarkson will be back sometime during the next TV season. I understand its hard doing double duty - you've got the radio show, you've got this.
"I had said at the end of the series, 'Goodbye for now, ' hoping somewhere it would come back", he said.
FreemantleMedia North America and Core Media Group's 19 Entertainment are producing the new version of "Idol". "I don't know about that part yet".
NBC, which is now home to "The Voice", was also reportedly interested in picking up "Idol" at one point. "I don't know if I can host it...", he claimed on the morning talk show (watch below at 5:00).
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Blasts Past $500M at Worldwide Box Office
- Stoke City out to upset Arsenal's Champions League hopes
- Star Wars fans celebrate May 4th
- Carolina Herrera's nephew killed in Venezuela
- Five-judge bench to examine legal validity of triple talaq
- 300 students hospitalised after gas leaks from chemical container
- USA warns against North Korea travel after Pyongyang arrests 4th American
- Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin to fight in September
- Schiff Calls Trump's Bluff: If Comey 'Tapes' Exist, Turn Them Over, Stat!
- Proud Dyche delights in defying doubters as Burnley all but seal survival