The chancellor also publicly took up a proposal by her finance minister, Wolfgang Schaeuble, to give the European Stability Mechanism rescue fund greater powers to handle future bailouts of euro-area countries.
Macron's visit to Berlin aims at stressing the importance of the relationship with Germany to relaunch the European project, an aide to the president-elect said.
The German leader had welcomed Macron's resounding election win on Sunday, saying he "carries the hopes of millions of French people and also many in Germany and across Europe".
Merkel yesterday praised the 39-year-old, who will be France's youngest-ever president, for the "courageous pro-European campaign" he waged successfully against far-right nationalist Marine Le Pen.
Germany intends to increase its defense spending in coming years to meet NATO's target of 2 percent of gross domestic product, Chancellor Angela Merkel said Thursday.
Top Dem: Trump did interfere with Russian Federation probe
Tillerson and Lavrov are meeting at the State Department, and then Lavrov heads to the White House to see President Donald Trump. Diplomatically, Lavrov said he would keep the button on his desk. "They tricked us", an angry White House official said.
"We want to work together on a few priorities: security, economy, investment and social protection", he added.
"I have been thinking about a eurozone budget since 2013, so that we can help reform-minded countries", Merkel said.
"Germany and France were nearly level in terms of economic performance until then", she said on a panel in Dusseldorf late Thursday. In a meeting with members of his campaign team on February 22, Macron told them that he was about to get an endorsement from Francois Bayrou, a centrist former three-time presidential candidate whose support helped boost Macron's campaign. "What we promised was to stop the cuts, gradually increase and then move toward 2 percent, and actually Germany and numerous European allies have started to do exactly that".
Speculation surrounds a half-dozen names, some fairly well-known, others less so. "And that's good, because if I knew I'd be obliged to lie to you".
- Baahubali 2 is unstoppable now, 400 Crore rupees collections only in Hindi
- Israel to Cut UN Funding Over UNESCO Vote on Jerusalem 'Occupation'
- Arizona Health Care Experts Worried About AHCA
- Why is crude oil unable to recover?
- Etats-Unis Qui souhaite la destitution de Trump ?
- Moon Jae-in investi président — Corée du Sud
- CSN Wizards make a dumb Spygate joke after Celtics Game 5 win
- Malaysia deports 3 Turks believed to be in militant group
- Marine Le Pen et Emmanuel Macron jugés (vidéo) — Débat
- Knuckles fait son caïd en vidéo et en images — Sonic Mania