There were 19,845 homes lying empty for more than six months previous year, or £9.4bn worth of property; 22 per cent of the total empty homes in England by value.
In London the total number has fallen from 20,915 in 2015 to 19,845 in 2016 and from 40,142 empty homes in 2006.
The wealthy borough of Kensington and Chelsea was the worst performer in London as super-rich owners rejected renting them out or selling up in favour of leaving their properties lying idle. This drop, however, still left more than £300m of empty homes.
Research conducted by investment marketplace Property Partner unsurprisingly shows London as the primary culprit for idle homes, with the Kensington and Chelsea area of the capital taking the top spot with 1,399 empty houses.
Blackburn saw the biggest increase in empty homes outside London with a 32% rise in a year.
LeBron James named one of Time's 100 Most Influential People
The highlighted individuals come from all sorts of fields, everything from the arts to politics. Now she has seven restaurants, two James Beard Awards and a memoir. "Ru was different.
"Councils have had the power to apply to seize empty homes since 2006 and huge advances have been made over the last ten years.We'd like to see the trend of the last decade continue, particularly where prices and demand are highest".
Only Birmingham and Bradford lie ahead of the city on the list, despite vacant Liverpool properties dropping by more than 750 since April 2016.
But some councils appear to have worked harder than others to make inroads into the stock of empty homes.
Across England, there were 200,145 long-term empty homes in 2016, amounting to more than £43bn. The number rose from 1,179 in 2015 to 1,563 in 2016.
- Juventus star Paulo Dybala reveals agreement on Barcelona
- Florida state attorney receives a noose in the mail
- China's Belt and Road Initiative opportunity for India: Shivshankar Menon
- Klopp delighted by Liverpool concentration
- Father of missing teen says she was brainwashed
- Retour d'Internet dans 2 régions anglophones après 3 mois d'interruption — CAMEROUN
- Jurgen Klopp dismisses Liverpool move for Joe Hart
- Moshe Hogeg just sold Mobli's Geofilters patent to Snapchat for $7.7M
- Michigan State player charged with criminal sexual conduct
- Haitong Bank Reiterates Sell Rating for Kingfisher plc (KGF)