Up to 20 meteors an hour may be seen on the night of April 21 into the morning of April 22 in areas with a clear sky and low light pollution.
After a disappointing year for meteor showers in 2016 due to moonlight interference, the Lyrids are one of several showers which won't be affected by moonlight this year.
Chinese records showed that "stars fell like rain" during the meteor shower of 687 B.C. However, in recent times, the Lyrids have generally been weak.
The annual Lyrid meteor shower which returns every April will peak this weekend with a ideal light show over Vietnam.
Man Utd, Chelsea target Mbappe 'will leave for huge offer'
The French wonderkid has been dubbed "the new Thierry Henry" thanks to his fine form for the Ligue 1 leaders this season.
"These meteors usually lack persistent trains but can produce fireballs", the American Meteor Society said.
Cometary particles strewn along the orbit of long-period Comet C/1861 G1 (Thatcher) are the genesis of the Lyrid meteors.
The shower typically generates a dozen meteors per hour under optimal conditions, with a brief maximum that lasts for less than a day, PAGASA said.
As is typical of most meteor showers, fainter Lyrids are the most plentiful, so your chances of observing some are greatly improved if you can find a safe, rural location well away from artificial lights.
- Chaffetz leaves door open to not finish term in House
- Ravens open 2017 season as 1.5-point underdogs against Bengals
- Samsung lance son nouveau Galaxy S8 pour oublier le dernier semestre
- Ten killed as truck rams into shops in Andhra Pradesh
- Sharapova should not get French Open wildcard, says rival Radwanska
- Mets activate closer Familia after 15-game suspension
- Disha Patani launches limited edition collection ONLYFORBIEBER from ONLY
- Which Analysts Are Watching Cadence Design Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CDNS)?
- Offensive posts may land WhatsApp, Facebook group admins in jail
- Naira retains gain against dollar