A Detroit-area physician and his wife have been arrested and charged with conspiring to perform female genital mutilation procedures on girls as young as six, the Justice Department announced on Friday.
According to a criminal complaint unsealed today, Attar owns the medical clinic in Livonia where prosecutors say two Minnesota girls had their genitals mutilated in February by Dr. Jumana Nagarwala, who was charged last week in what is the nation's first federal prosecution of genital cutting.
Female genital mutilation involves removing external female genitalia partially or in full, sometimes for religious or cultural reasons.
Fakhruddin Attar, 53, and his wife Farida Attar, 50, both of Livonia, are charged with conspiracy to commit female genital mutilation, and aiding and abetting female genital mutilation.
" "Cazeneuve dénonce " l'outrance " de Le Pen et Fillon — Attentat
En effet, radios et télévisions ne pourront plus parler des déplacements électoraux à partir du vendredi minuit . Jean-Luc Mélenchon battrait aussi la présidente du Front national sur le score de 60%-40%.
According to the complaint, some of the minor victims traveled from other states to have the procedure performed.
A second MI doctor and his wife were just arrested on charges of performing female genital mutilation on minors, according to breaking news from the U.S. Justice Department Friday. Nagarwala is not employed at the clinic, Burhani Medical Clinic, and did not bill for the illegal work. Nagarwala's attorney has said she performed a religious ritual, not genital mutilation. Authorities believe the husband and wife arranged and assisted in the FGM procedures performed by the Detroit doctor, Dr. Jumana Nagarwala. Other minor girls in MI may have undergone procedures as well. The lawyer said Dr. Nagarwala removed mucous from the 7-year-olds in February, and handed the gauze to the family for burial.
According to the court filing, the girl's family members took her and another girl to Detroit for what they called a "special girls' trip". She says Nargawala pinched her in her genital area and was told not to talk about the procedure. He said that she performs them on Friday evenings or Saturdays and does not charge. Nagarwala was arrested after two Minnesota 7-year-olds identified her as the person who performed procedures on them in February at the clinic in Livonia, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Bill O'Reilly let go by Fox News
- Attentat: un mot manuscrit défendant "Daech" retrouvé près de l'assaillant
- Zuckerberg confirms: Facebook is developing mind-reading technology
- CONE Midstream Partners LP (CNNX) Given Average Recommendation of "Hold" by Brokerages
- Klopp delighted by Liverpool concentration
- Monaco tire la Juventus en demi-finales — Ligue des champions
- LeBron James named one of Time's 100 Most Influential People
- Consular access to Jadhav to be decided on basis of merit: Pak
- L'Arkansas procède à sa première exécution en une décennie
- Israel Reopens Egypt Border, but Warns: Sinai Terror Threat Imminent