Both sides reported that fighting started on Monday and carried on for two days in Sangin district, an area where the armed group has made major gains over the past two years.
Charles Cleveland, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Afghanistan, told Al Jazeera that the United States carried out 15 air raids in the last 48 hours.
"The Taliban used a new tactic to attack government positions to take over the district. We will continue to aggressively support our Afghan partners as they defend Sangin from the Taliban", the spokesman said in a written statement without giving further details.
The rockets attack happened at the time when Chief Executive Officer (CEO) on the head of a high-level delegation arrived in Lashkargah to assess the security situation closely.
One civilian was killed and three others were wounded when two rockets landed at Traffic Bridge area of Lashkargah, the capital of southern Helmand province, on Wednesday, an official said.
Sex Drug Listed as Possible Cause for George Michael's Death
Andros told The Victoria Dervyshire Show that "hard drugs had been back in his life" but denied he had committed suicide. I saw him collapse many, many times. "He threw up on my bathroom floor and I had to kick him out of my house".
A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, said Monday its fighters had captured at least 25 government outposts and killed more than 100 soldiers and police.
Officials said the Taliban dug the tunnels to the checkpoints from nearby houses.
Six of the 13 Helmand districts have been under the Taliban control.
British, American and other worldwide forces battled the Taliban in Helmand for years after the ouster of the militant group from power in late 2001.
- Gordhan hits back at Oakbay in affidavit
- Ivanka Trump Asks America To Give Her Racist Dad A Chance
- Investiture du président américain le plus vieux de l'histoire américaine — Etats-Unis
- Films-regarder.co a fermé ses portes — Streaming
- Les ressortissants de 7 pays dont 3 d'Afrique interdits d'accès aux USA
- Venise. La noyade d'un réfugié dans le Grand Canal interroge l'Italie
- Roger Federer et l'Open d'Australie 2017 - le comeback du siècle
- La "loi mannequin" attend désespérément ses décrets d'application — Anorexie
- Human brain reshapes itself during spaceflight, study suggests
- Melania Trump just 'an object' to her husband, body language expert says